.

The Free State
"Man, in a word, has no nature. What he has is - history."

Monday, April 23, 2007

Dissertation's DONE

I just handed in two copies, plastic-bound. It's done. No more research, no more endlessly fiddling, no more Attali (my main source). In fact, I've removed his blog from my bloglines feeds, his often messianic and/or self-righteous tone has gotten on my nerves. The importance of any old topic he's talking about is always inflated with phrases "this is the first time ever that..." and "if we fail to act here...". Blah blah. He's a good source, but an annoying writer.

The end of the dissertation doesn't mean I'll have much free time though as exams are in two weeks. Doing the final edits to my dissertation and finally printing it off really made me feel there was a lot more I had to say. Space is a bitch. On the other hand, it got me thinking I really could do this sort of thing for a living. There's some topics, like the Chad War or Mobutu, I could write loads about assuming I had access to enough of the literature. I could even give them pretentious potentially sell-able titles like "Scorched by the Sahara: Libya's Military Adventure in Chad" or "Vampire King: The Rise and Fall of Mobutu's Zaire". Preferably with some ghastly dark-eyed version of Qaddafi and Mobutu leering from the cover.

Not sure about the necessary readership though..

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Woowho !

I like your titles. I would read the Vampire King.

csw

9:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't stand Attali either...

11:09 AM  
Blogger Julia Haston said...

Well done Craig. I found your dissertation a very easy and enjoyabe read.

jhw

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home